The other day Raspberry Pi foundation finally made their 64bit version available and the new standard for their installs.

So, you know what that means…

For as much as I enjoy Ubuntu, I’d really like to run the OS build for the Pi on the Pi, so migration was in order!

Now, this was barely a week after release… (danger!)

Logged into the PiServer, started the backup process for all of the docker-compose files and directories, in case something went sideways.

Powered it all down and unplugged the USB-Sata adaptor for the drive.

Found a MicroSD card, imaged it up with the new RaspPix64 image, booted it up and went to town getting it set up. Updated SSH keys, system name, local, time/date, etc. All the good stuff. Enjoyed having a desktop (yes, went with full instead of lite) for the ease of drag-and-dropping a lot of files from the old OS install.

And then I went to install Docker.

At the time, Raspbian arm64 was not listed as supported. (as of the writing of this, it still isn’t)

But, I’d made it this far, so I gave it a go anyway!

And it worked! Turnes out they’d been prepping it in the background and just didn’t update their site documentation.

Version: 20.10.5+dfsg1
API version: 1.41
Go version: go1.15.15
Git commit: 55c4c88
Built: Sat Dec 4 10:53:03 2021
OS/Arch: linux/arm64
Context: default
Experimental: true

Version: 20.10.5+dfsg1
API version: 1.41 (minimum version 1.12)
Go version: go1.15.15
Git commit: 363e9a8
Built: Sat Dec 4 10:53:03 2021
OS/Arch: linux/arm64
Experimental: false
Version: 1.4.12~ds1
GitCommit: 1.4.12~ds1-1~deb11u1
Version: 1.0.0~rc93+ds1
GitCommit: 1.0.0~rc93+ds1-5+b2
Version: 0.19.0

We’re up and running!

Feeling confident at this point, did a test run of all of the containers and made sure they were able to do their thing, and it was flawless. No need to tweak anything aside from a few file permissions due to the copy.

Used the built in SD card Copier to copy the full install over to the SSD.

Powered it back down, ejected the MicroSD card, and powered it back up. Booted just as expected off of the SSD. Started all of the containers.

Now It’s back up and running as if it was running that way all along. Which is as it should be with docker containers, really.